Although when you first hear Baked Pineapple, you might think dessert, but it’s a perfect side dish on any table. I make it quite often, but it’s always one of those dishes on a holiday a holiday table, especially Easter and Thanksgiving. I’m not sure where I first got the recipe or tried it, but knew it was something I wanted in my recipe file. Yes this is the perfect baked pineapple casserole.
Cheese?? Really, cheddar cheese is in this? Well, ok – I’ll give it a try.
My husband isn’t a pineapple lover, but I do remember the first year I made it there were about 10 – 12 people here for Thanksgiving so I thought surely someone else would like it too. Turns out it was a hit, even with my husband. It is now a tradition on Thanksgiving, plus a few other times a year. Think about the pineapple is a great accompaniment with ham.Another advantage of this recipe is you can make it ahead of time then assemble it right before baking.
I hope you add this to your recipe file.
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar
- 2 (20-ounce) cans pineapple tidbits, drained, (keeping the juice)
- 1 cup Ritz Cracker crumbs, crushed
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Using additional butter or non stick spray, coat a medium-size casserole dish
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the sugar and flour
- Slowly add in the cheese making sure it is all well coated with flour and sugar mixture
- Add drained pineapple
- Stir until all ingredients are well combined
- Pour this mixture into sprayed casserole dish
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix together Ritz Cracker crumbs, melted butter, and 5 Tablespoons of the reserved pineapple juice
- Spread this over pineapple mixture
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown
- The type of pineapple you use is to your taste.
- I prefer the tidbits since I like the texture, but you can also use crushed or chunks.
- Prepare pineapple mixture and store in refrigerator the day before
- Right before baking, add the Ritz Cracker crumb mixture
- Baking may take an additional 5 minutes