Day 8 – 12 Days til Christmas
I’ve actually been using this recipe and making this for many years. The recipe was originally in a cookbook with a microwave we bought out Mom for Christmas when they were the newest gadget to have. And I think it cost about $500 – $600 dollars. That was really a lot of money to spend 40 years ago.
Make a quick batch for gifts or a late night snack. Always make sure you store it in an air tight container.
If you read a post a few days ago, you will remember I tried to make my fudge with a defective candy thermometer. Wasn’t a problem tonight since it wasn’t needed.
Have you ever tried to make this? Let me know.
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 1/2 C white corn syrup
- 1 C roasted, salted peanuts
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Mix sugar and syrup in 1 1/2 qt. microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave on High for 4 minutes.
- Stir in peanuts.
- Microwave on High for 3 - 5 minutes. I did 4 minutes.
- Add butter and vanilla.
- Stir well.
- Microwave on High for 1 - 2 minutes. I did 1 1/2 minutes.
- Peanuts will start to brown lightly.
- Stir in baking soda quickly until it becomes lighter in color and foamy.
- Spread mixture quickly onto a non-stick coated baking sheet.
- Cool for 1/2 to 1 hour.
- Break into smaller pieces and store.
- CAUTION - Mixture will be very hot so take precautions.
- This isn't a good recipe for young children since this hot mixture will burn easily.
- Mine is a bit darker since my Mexican Vanilla is darker than normal.
- Always use pure vanilla instead of artificial flavored.
- If your baking sheet isn't a non-stick, lightly butter.
- Microwave times can vary by your microwave.
- Dig out your old Corning Ware. Love it for recipes like these.